Excess facial or body hair can be a nagging cosmetic concern for men and women. While depilatories, shaving, and waxing are common solutions for temporary hair removal, they can be very uncomfortable and time consuming. A modern solution for controlling and eliminating unwanted hair is laser hair removal. This cosmetic procedure uses intense laser light to minimize hair growth on the face, back, chest, breast, abdomen, arms, underarms, bikini area and/or legs. Laser hair removal offers a long-lasting, convenient and gentle solution to the problem of unwanted hair.
How does laser hair removal work?
- Laser hair removal (LHR) uses a low-energy laser to gently remove unwanted hair. The laser energy passes through the skin and is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicle. In a fraction of a second, the energy is transformed into heat and the hair follicle is destroyed. Quick and convenient, full face, bikini line and underarm treatments may take as little as 15 minutes per treatment. Several treatments may be required to destroy hair follicles in varying growth cycles. Since the laser targets the pigment of the hair follicle, laser hair removal is most effective on light-skinned patients with dark hair.
- Most patients can expect a major reduction in hair growth after completing the treatment course.
Advantages of laser hair removal
- A safe, effective alternative to daily shaving
- Useful for large or tough-to-reach areas
- Regrowth may come back lighter in color and finer in texture
- Light-skinned patients with dark hair have the best results but LHR can be safely used in any skin type.
- LHR is a good option for people with sensitive skin
Am I a good candidate for laser hair removal?
- In general, patients with light skin and dark hair are ideal candidates for laser hair removal. As a rule, the pigment in dark hair absorbs more laser energy, making black or brown hair easier to treat. Light hair (blonde, red or gray) contains a pigment that absorbs less laser energy and therefore may require more treatment applications. While LHR treatments for darker skinned patients are possible, we recommend all LHR patients have treatment applied when their skin is as fair/light as possible.
How many laser treatments will I need?
- The number of hair removal treatments required for optimal long-term benefits may depend on the area being treated, the hair density and the patient’s hair growth cycle. Age, ethnicity, weight, hormones, diet, medication and metabolism all play a part in a patient’s hair distribution, thickness and resilience.
Though laser hair removal can be successful at any time of the year, the cooler fall and winter months are usually the best times to have it performed as lasers can cause skin discoloration on dark or tanned skin. Our laser targets dark pigments and if you have a tan, it will think it needs to target the pigmented skin cell instead of the pigmented hair follicle. If you are ready to rid yourself of unwanted hair this fall, call 256-351-2000 to schedule a complimentary consultation and say goodbye to waxing and shaving!
Doctor direct: Laser Hair Removal Brochure